100 Days of Holiday Inspiration-Zombie Bride Costume-76 Days & Counting

For the past couple of years I have been making my daughter's Halloween costume.  This year she wants to be a zombie bride and I had a lot of ideas.  First I was going to go looking at consignment stores or thrift stores to find an old white dress, maybe even a used up flower girl dress, and add some rips and a little black and red spray paint to fix it right up.

But then we went to good ol' Wal-Mart and glanced at their costumes.  The prices this year are actually a lot less than before.  Some of the cutest costumes for $15.88 or less!  They had all these cute zombie/ghost girls' costumes that made me think of the Monster High dolls.





Seriously, how stinkin' cute and so cheap!  You can find all these and more on Wal-mart's website or your local store.

Anyway, I thought I might just take the easy route out.  I really didn't think I could make one any cheaper.  Then my little Diva said she wanted me to make her one instead.  Okay.

We're on a tight budget so I was determined not to spend a dime if I have to make it myself.  And I didn't.  Everything I used came from that craft hoard of mine.

First, I used up some stretchy knit black fabric and made the dress using the Brooke Dress pattern I had purchased a long time ago YCMT (see link on right).  Because I used knit, I actually decreased my measurements a few inches except on the length--I added length.


Then, I took some red tulle I had in my stash, wrapped it around the little Diva to see how we wanted it to lay, then stitched it in place just on the back collar.  Now she can wrap it, tie it, or just let it hang without fear of loosing it.


I took a plain head band and some shinny sequin fabric and hot glued the fabric to the head band.  I didn't even measure.  I glued it on then cut what we needed.  She's a zombie, so accurate straight edges are not needed.  The more jagged the better.



And for added fun I took some more of that red tulle and did the same.


I don't have a picture of her wearing it yet, but she did try it all on to make sure it fit.  The great thing about this is that she can layer regular clothes underneath for warmth.  It seems to get really cold on Halloween night around here.  She will be able to put on a black turtle neck and pants under her costume and you'll never realize it.  The turtleneck will  blend right in with the dress.

Hopefully this weekend I can get some pics of her in full get up, along with makeup.  She's very excited.  Personally, I still like the ones at Wal-Mart better, but you can't get much better than FREE considering I used only supplies I had on hand.

Will you be making or buying your costumes this year?  I'd love to hear from you and all your ideas!

Until next time...
G'nite!
Amy~The Dixie Diva



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Days of Holiday Inspiration 2013

Planning an Organized Home - Part 1 - Chore Charts

Organized Home: Spring Cleaning