Refurbish an Old Mannequin or Dress Form
I inherited Maude after my Granny passed away. For the longest I was scared to use it again because it was so old, I didn't want to tear it up. I finally brought it home from my parents house and started to use it. My daughter also liked it, just like I did, and wanted to dress it up. It didn't take long for her to tear the thread bear fabric that covered it. It was upsetting to me, because I didn't want it to lose the charm it had from when it was at Granny's house. I didn't know what to do, so I put it up again.
I really needed a dress form, but buying a new one just did not seem right. So I began searching online for the best technique and asking around for advice. One suggestion kept coming back up: duck tape.
Finally this weekend I decided to brave it. I adjusted from the inside as much as I could, but the bolts are starting to rust and fall apart. I started with each seam and taped them in place. I stretched, pulled and all but stood on my head to get the pieces to line back up again. Once all the main seams were in tact, I began to fully coat the form with duct tape, taking my time and smoothing it out as I went. It only took one 55 yard roll of basic duck tape-less than $3-and about 2 1/2 hours to complete. I turned on the Discovery ID and watched Strange Stories of the ER and fully took my time. It's not perfect, but I think it will work quite nicely.