Birthday Dress

As tired as I was after a weekend of birthday celebrating, I still managed to make my little girl a birthday dress to wear to school on Monday.  Remember this fabric?
How about the ribbon flowers?

I wanted to make a long peasant dress/top from the Brook Dress pattern I have, but I wanted to change it up a bit.  I wanted to try out searing since I finally got the technique down pat.  I increased the width by 50% for each panel and then sewing in 5 rows of searing about a 1 1/2 inches from the top.
Trial and error.
Sorry I don't have pics to post, but I was a little too frustrated to think about it at the time.  The dress itself is a non-fitted design, and I believe I could have done the searing without increasing the width, or with minimal increasing.  Needless to say, it was too big.  And then I gave too much at the top for the elastic and made the area under the arms too small.  It took a little adjusting, some seam ripping, but I got it to work.
I took some of the contrasting fabric and made some straps (albeit too long-I'll fix that later) and sewed them in place on the back of the dress.
All in all, it turned out pretty cute.

For the hair bow, I took 2 of the ribbons I used for the flowers, stacked and glued them together.  Grabbed my bottle cap/images stash and made her a quick bow the morning before she went to school.  The bottle cap for the center piece has her initial in it.

I took cup cakes to school along with a surprise lunch then got her out of school early.  She had her yearly well check so it was excused ;-)

Now it's time to start planning Bubba's 4th birthday party...Disney's Cars. 

What do you think of the party and birthday dress?  What party plans are you making?  I'd love to hear from you!

G'nite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Days of Holiday Inspiration 2013

Planning an Organized Home - Part 1 - Chore Charts

Organized Home: Spring Cleaning