Stash Bash Tutorial-Little Girls Nightgown

Sorry for the two day delay in this post.  I spent Thursday evening in bed with a massive sinus migraine.  I HATE this time of year...mainly because it seems to hate me.  I love the fall and winter time: no bugs, no pollen, no humidity.  Ugh.
On a better note, I spent last night celebrating my mom's birthday with her.  Doing the total girly thing-shopping at the mall!   Mom scored a new pair of shoes and new books courtesy of my sister and I.  It was a wonderful time.

Ok, back to business.  I am combining these two-Stash Bash and Tutorial Friday-to show you how I made a couple of cute nightgowns for my daughter.  I realized this past week that she can only wear about 2 sets of warm weather pj's from last year.  (How do we keep them from growing so fast??)  So now not only does she need summer clothes, she needs pj's as well.  All I can think of is my checking account creeping in to the red!  She has moved up in size to the 7-16 department, which means 1) the clothes look to grown up for my 7 year old and 2) the prices increase with size.

This year I plan to make her more outfits with fabric I have on hand.  The trick is getting her approval (pre-teen drama queen and fashionista!)  Recently I have had several people give me some fabric they were not going yo use.  I graciously accepted.  I let my mini diva go through and pick out her favorite pieces.  She loves the knit fabric, so I decided to make her some simple gowns.  They are very easy to make.

First, double your fabric and lay it out flat.  Take a cotton/knit dress that's in her closet that fits well, and lay it on to of the fabric.  You have your pattern template.


I cut out the fabric about an inch and a half larger all the way around.


I took each separate piece and serged around all edges.  Now this is not 100% necessary with knit fabric, as it doesn't typically fray as easy.  If you don't want a rough edge, turn each edge 1/4", then another 1/4" and stitch in place.    After I serged the edges, I stitched the pieces together down each side and then the shoulders and it was complete!  I made 2 nightgowns in less than half an hour-using fabric I had on hand!


Now I have one happy little girl begging for more nightgowns!  She really wants me to make a silky one, but I'm a little nervous of working with that kind of fabric.  Guess it would be a good way to try it out!

I hope you found this little tutorial and stash bash helpful!  I would love to hear your thoughts on it, and know if you have any tutorials of your own for a little girls gown.   In the meantime, have a good weekend ya'll!

Amy~The Dixie Diva

Comments

  1. I don't sew, but it looks like you did a fabulous job, I had to smile at your term "mini diva"! I hope you're having a wonderful Mother's Day! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100 Days of Holiday Inspiration 2013

Planning an Organized Home - Part 1 - Chore Charts

Organized Home: Spring Cleaning