DIY Cookie or Cake Tray

One of my favorite holiday traditions is to bake lots of goodies with my kids on Christmas eve.  The only thing is, we don't have a cute little display for their artwork of edible beauties.  Of course there are all kinds of cake stands, single or tiered, that correspond with each and every holiday out there that I could go and buy-but where's the fun in that?  Not to mention when you're spending all your extra money on Christmas gifts it doesn't give you much room to budget in expensive decor.
So I did a little research on how to make my own.  Anyone that knows me knows I will find a way to make something myself.  You can take an old candle holder and plate, hot glue together and have an elegant little cake platter, or even use an old wine glass instead of the candle holder.  This is a great idea and you could use mismatched items from your home or check the local good will.  I decided to go to the Dollar Tree and see what I could come up with.  I started to get the holiday plates and make a Christmas scene, but then I thought about how many other occasions I could use it for: birthdays, Valentines, Easter, ect, ect.  Here's what I opted for:

A couple of plastic "crystal" platters, and some wide glass candle holders.  Now keep in mind, you can use as many of these as you would like as long as you keep the weight of your items distributed evenly.

Next, place some hot glue all around the bottom of one of the candle holders, then center it on your first tray.




Then you will coat the rim of the glass with hot glue and affix the other tray on top, making sure to center quick before the glue sets.

I started out with just 2 platters and, upon the hubby's suggestion, added another tier.  I'm pleased with how these came out, and I can use them for any occasion.  You can always dress these up by adding some ribbon or fake flowers around the center.  Another good thing about the glass candle holders I used, is that I could have filled the glasses with ornaments, confettii, or any other light weight item.  The possibilities are endless!
Here's the final product:
Wishing you and yours a Very Merry CHRISTmas!
Amy~Dixie Diva

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Days of Holiday Inspiration 2013

Planning an Organized Home - Part 1 - Chore Charts

Organized Home: Spring Cleaning